Don’t Build An App, Build A Mobile Business
Posted on 31 Aug ’11
- Start a business, not an app
- Choose the right business model
- Build for the user
- Create buzz about your app
- Be engaging
- Build a brand
- Measure performance (not downloads)
- Test (and iterate)
To this I would add (specifically if you are building a game):
- Develop a Game, Not a Level – Too often you see a game that has been developed around a particular level, but a truly great game needs to has to be engaging, has multiple levels, layers of complexity, rewards, and equally disappointments or also known as the “near miss” factor.
- Develop a Game, Not a Design (and get an actual designer for that bit) – Lots of focus seems to be paid to the graphical elements of a game more so than the game itself. Great graphics make a game pretty and awesome, but don’t forget its the game elements that keeps them entertained. As such an agile approach to build a game and develop graphics will do wonders, as both can evolve into something amazing.