Everything you ever wanted to know about: Zynga
Posted on 29 Sep ’11
Zynga is a world-famous social game developer, whose titles include Facebook games such as CityVille, FarmVille, Mafia Wars, and Zynga Poker (which I play quite a bit on my iPhone). Primarily based out of San Francisco, USA, this social game company has really shined in this space – the two metrics that really impress me time and time again are the number of monthly online users (>250 million and rising) and the ever increasingly ridiculous valuations of the company (>$20 billion and rising).
Personally, I play mobile social games such as Zynga Poker, however I don’t really play any of the major online social games (more so fearing their addictive nature than anything else).
Whether you play the games or not, the company itself is a testament to the social era, specifically social gaming. Here are a few of the most interesting articles I have come across (primarily from Business Insider):
- Zynga profile and how to make millions from Social Games
- Zynga business model (by PassiveLifeIncome) and a good picture version (by PlayXFight)
- Zynga business model and revenue analysis and exploring the money-making machine
- How Zynga makes money from CityVille
- Ultimately with a free-to-play business model, it’s all about the in-app purchases (virtual goods and virtual currency) to make money in the social game world
- Make sure virtual currency is available to buy on physical recharge cards via InComm
- Zynga can’t get paid without PayPal and Amex – its 2 biggest partners amongst a whole host of online methods
- A lot of product placement (i.e. McDonalds) also helps the revenue machine
- Explore Zynga’s new exploit, FrontierVille
- Similarly to Angry Birds, Zynga has its own products on Zazzle or even FarmVille Ice Cream
- One of the many reasons for changing valuations is modifying their S-1 filing
- Acquisitions under the belt include, MyMiniLife, PopCap games, and Astro Ape among others and possibly more to come…step 1. take over Social Games, step 2. the world
- Have a future plan, Zynga Live perhaps.
Either you build a social game or your invest in one, so I am certainly looking forward to when Zynga IPOs (eventually) to get in on some of that action.
As I come across more, I will try to keep this post updated. However feel free to add your own interesting articles through the comments below.